Performance Analysis of Optical Fiber Network from MAC Layer Perspective
Deepika Dwivedi , Manisha Chattopadhyay
Optical fiber provides infinite capacity to support the rapid traffic growth which is required to our information society. However, as demand is increased and technology has developed, we have realized that there is a fundamental limit to fiber capacity. In this paper report we present a comprehensive review of how the MAC protocol is used to enhance the capacity in optical fiber networks. For this we have studied basics of optical fiber networks by considering different layers of protocol stack in optical network and their research challenges. The purpose of this project is to find the performance analysis of fiber optics network from MAC Layer perspective. In this project we would like to propose a hybrid MAC Protocol based on aloha, slotted aloha, and TDM structure to improve the channel capacity with resource optimization. Frame based structure of proposed MAC protocol not only helps us to manage on demand traffic but also increases the energy efficiency. We would like to present the thorough numerical and simulation results to back our proposed idea.
MAC Protocol, slotted aloha, TDM, optical network, throughput, packet drop, energy Consumption
1. Zhan Mei and Dongsheng Zhao, Jihong Liu,”A Survey Of Optical Networks And Its Visual Management And Control”2011 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computer Control (ICACC 2011)
2. Chava Vijaya And Suresh Subramaniam,”Physical Layer Impairment Aware Routing (PLIAR) In WDM Optical Networks: Issues And Challenges’ IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 11, No. 4, Fourth Quarter 2009
3. R. Mollard, “COSC460 Report: Medium Access Control Protocols for WDM Optical Networks”, Honours Report, University of Canterbury, 2001
4. Ge Nong ; Sen Zhang ; Xiaola Lin ,” An Efficient MAC Protocol For Optical WDM Networks With Simulation Evaluation”, Local Computer Networks, Proceedings 2006 31st IEEE Conference On Digital Object Identifier
5. Maged Abdullah Email and Habib Fathallah “Physical Layer Monitoring Techniques for TDM-Passive Optical Networks: A Survey” IEEE Communications.
6. Chava Vijaya and Suresh Subramaniam,”Physical Layer Impairment Aware Routing (PLIAR) In WDM Optical Networks: Issues and Challenges’ IEEE communications surveys & tutorials, vol. 11, no. 4, fourth quarter 2009
7. Chunpeng Xiao ; Bing, B. ; Chang, G.K,” An Efficient Reservation MAC Protocol With Preallocation For High-Speed WDM Passive Optical networks”, INFOCOM 2005. 24th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies. Proceedings IEEE Volume: 1
8. W. Hu, R. O. Hu, “ Wavelength re-routing in WDM mesh network with survivable traffic grooming”,Vol.3, pp.528-536, IEEE, 2006.
9. Weifa Liang et. al., “A General Approach for All-to-All Routing in multihop WDM Optical Networks”, 1063-6692, IEEE, 2006
10. N. Abramson, “The Aloha system – another alternative for computer communications,” AFIPS Conference Proceedings, vol. 36, 1970, pp.295-298.
11. L. Roberts, “Aloha packet system with and without slots and capture,” ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, Vol. 5, Issue 2, 1975.
12. Israr, I. ; Yaqoob, M.M. ; Javaid, N. ; Qasim, U. ; Khan, Z.A.,”Simulation Analysis of Medium Access techniques”,Broadband, Wireless Computing, Communication and Applications(BWCCA),2012Seventh International Conference on Digital Object Identifier
13. S.-W. Seo, K. Bergman, And P. R. Prucnal, "Transparent Optical Networks With Time-Division Multiplexing, "IEEE Journal On Selected Areas In Communications, Vol. 14, No. 5, Pp. 1039-1051, June 1996
14. T. Luo, M. Motani and V. Srinivasan, “A Cooperative Asynchronous multi-channel MAC Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks” IEEE Broadband Communications, Networks and Systems, Oct. 2006
15. Deepalakshmi, R. ; Shailesh Kumar, C. ; Rajaram, S..“New MAC protocol for traffic routing in optical networks by exploiting delays in dynamic bandwidth allocation”, Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics (ICCAIE), 2011 IEEE International Conference on Digital Object Identifier
16. R. Rom and M.Sidi, “Multiple Access Protocols: Performance and Analysis,” Springer-Verlag Publication, 1989
17. J.M. Choi, J. So , and Y. B. Ko, “ Numerical Analysis of IEEE 802.11 Broadcast Scheme in Multihop Wireless Ad-hoc Networks, ICOIN, Januaray 2005, pp:1-10.
18. L. Wu and P. K. Varshney, Performance analysis of CSMA and BTMA protocols in,multihop networks(1). Single channel case, Elsevier Information Science, Vol.120,pp-159-177,1999.
19. Lujuan Ma 1, Henry Leung 2, and Deshi Li,” Hybrid TDMA/CDMA MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks”, journal of networks, vol. 9, no. 10, october 2014
[Deepika Dwivedi , Manisha Chattopadhyay (2015), Performance Analysis of Optical Fiber Network from MAC Layer Perspective, International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer Science & Technology (IJIRCST), Vol-3, Issue-2, Page No-82-87], (ISSN 2347 - 5552). www.ijircst.org
is with the Electronics and Telecommunication Department, V.E.S. Institute of technology, Mumbai university, Mumbai, India phone: 91-9702335522